La Sala Rossa nel Quartiere del Governatore (The Red Room in the Governor's Quarters)
Located on the first floor of the structure built at the end of the sixteenth century, on the corner of via de' Gondi and via dei Leoni, the room owes its name to the colour of the panels that have decorated the walls from 1860 onward. That year Tuscany was annexed to Piedmont and the General Governor nominated by King Victor Emmanuel II, Baron Bettino Ricasoli, was installed in Palazzo Vecchio, thereby making it necessary to complete renovations. The quarters in which the Sala Rossa is found housed the Baron's private lodgings and are still called the “Governor's Quarters”. Work was completed by architect Giuseppe Martelli who covered the walls in “French paper” and a reed ceiling decorated with monochrome partitions and allegorical scenes. Martelli was able to bring the quarters into fashion with the tastes of the times so quickly that the Governor inaugurated it on January 1, 1861. The quarters now house various city offices as well as the Sala Rossa, which was Bettino Ricasoli's bedroom and is the only one in the Palazzo that still has the wall coverings and some of the refined neo-Baroque furnishings from the period. The décor is completed by three large tapestries from the end of the eighteenth century representing the Stories of Ester. The sumptuousness of these furnishings led to the Sala Rossa becoming the room in which civil marriage are celebrated by the City of Florence.
Comune di Firenze - Palazzo Vecchio, P.zza Signoria 50122 FIRENZE - P.IVA 01307110484
If you have a suggestion to improve our portal please email to email@example.com